Name: Humphrey DeForest Bogart
DOB: December 25, 1899
Birthplace: New York City, New York
Occupation: Screen and stage actor
Recognised for: His status as a cultural icon
· During a film career of almost 30 years, Bogart appeared in more than 75 feature films. In 1999, the American Film Institute (AFI) ranked him as the greatest male star of Classic American Cinema.
· Over his career, he received three Academy Award nominations for Best Actor, winning one for The African Queen.
· Humphrey’s performance in Casablanca raised him to the peak of his profession and, at the same time, cemented his trademark film persona, that of the hard-boiled cynic who ultimately shows his noble side.
· Bogart loved sailing and playing golf and chess. He was an excellent chess player; he was a tournament director for the United Chess Federation and a frequent visitor to the Hollywood Chess Club.
· In 1949, the actor received a Sour Apple Award for Least Cooperative Actor. Bogart was at the height of his acting career when he received the award, but it was not surprising as he was known to have an unstable personality.
· At a time when he lacked a general idea of what he wanted to do with his life, Bogart decided to join the U.S. Navy, in 1918. It is rumored that Bogart’s famous lip injury took place during this time, when he was assigned to care after a prisoner who ended up hitting him in the face with his prison shackles. As the legend has it, the doctor did not do an admirable job working on Bogart’s lip; the doctor’s poor work supposedly ended up causing the Hollywood leading actor to lisp, which was one of his notable features as an actor.
· Five of his lines from Casablanca were well-regarded by the AFI. Along with “Here’s looking at you, kid,” (which he improvised) being ranked as one of the best movie lines, there are four other lines in the movie that were ranked in the top 100 quotations of all time; “The stuff that dreams are made of,” “Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship,” “We’ll always have Paris” and “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in the world, she walks into mine.”
· Hollywood’s ‘tough guy’ was a victim of domestic violence. His third wife, Mayo Methot, once stabbed him in the shoulder and threatened him with a pistol at a party.
· Bogart and Princess Diana were seventh cousins, twice removed. They were distantly related through the Princess of Wales’ American relations.
Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.
The only point in making money is, you can tell some big shot where to go.
I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings.
Martial arts expert and actor Jackie Chan is all set to receive a lifetime achievement ....Read Detail
Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts have called it quits after 11 years together. ....Read Detail
Sandra Bullock claims her kids, Louis, six and four-year-old Laila, are 'the....Read Detail
· During a film career of almost 30 years, Bogart appeared in more than 75 feature ....Read Detail